A car accident can be a stressful and frightening experience. In addition to property damage, car accidents may leave a driver and/or their passengers seriously injured and in need of lengthy medical treatment. In an instant, a once active person may have their life put on hold while they deal with the aftermath of an accident that was caused through no fault of their own.
If you were involved in an accident, would you know what to do?
If you ever find yourself involved in a car accident, keep in mind the following tips:
- Stay calm and assess the situation. Check yourself and any passengers for injury and call for medical help if needed.
- Call the police. When they arrive, they can fill out a police report detailing the circumstances of your accident.
- Exchange information with the other driver. Take down the contact information of the other driver, including their name, address, phone number, insurance information, the make, model, and color of their vehicle, and their license plate number.
- Gather contact information for any eyewitnesses. If they are willing, take down the contact information for anyone who witnessed the accident. If necessary, their testimony can be used to establish who was at fault for the accident.
- Gather evidence. Take photos or videos of the accident scene, including shots of any property damage, any injuries sustained, and the location of the collision.
- Avoid admitting blame. Even the most innocuous statements, such as “I’m sorry,” could be used by the other driver’s insurance company to deflect blame for the accident onto you. Avoid making any statements or apologies to the other driver and focus simply on documenting the accident and getting the help you need.
- Contact your insurance company. Report the accident with your insurance company and explain what happened clearly and truthfully.
- Keep track of your medical treatment. Keep an organized record of any medical care you receive as a result of your accident. Also, document how your injuries have affected your daily life, such as interfering with your ability to work or complete daily tasks. This information will strengthen a personal injury claim.
- Contact an attorney. Working with an attorney who is experienced in handling car accident and other personal injury cases can maximize your chances of receiving compensation.
Car Accident Attorneys in Atlanta, GA
Seeking an experienced car accident attorney in Atlanta? A lawyer from Pratt Clay, LLC is happy to discuss your case with you during a free, no-obligation consultation. We have decades of experience handling these types of cases and have successfully recovered over $50 million for our clients. Even if you have been offered a settlement by the other driver’s insurance company, consult with an attorney from our firm first to ensure that the amount they are offering is both fair and adequate to cover all of the damages you have suffered.
Speak with an Atlanta car accident attorney at Pratt Clay, LLC to request your free case evaluation today!