Hundreds of people are killed each year in bicycle accidents, many of which involve motor vehicles. Sadly, more than 90 percent of bicycle accidents involving a car or truck prove fatal for the bicyclist, and an average of 540,000 people visit emergency rooms with bicycle accident injuries each year. Fortunately, these types of accidents can be prevented with a little knowledge and preparedness.
At Pratt Clay, LLC, we care about your safety. Keep these tips in mind to help you avoid a bicycle accident:
- Use hand signals. Signal your intention to stop, turn, or change lanes with hand signals. You can find more information on signaling online via The League of American Bicyclists.
- Use the whole lane. Instead of sticking to just the edge of the street, bicyclists should use the whole lane. This makes the rider more visible and predictable to other motorists.
- Follow the rules of the road. Bicyclists are required to follow the same rules of the road as motorists. This means stopping at stop signs and red lights, riding with the flow of traffic, and respecting the right of way of pedestrians.
- Avoid distractions. Bicyclists should never wear headphones while riding their bike. This prevents the rider from being able to hear their surroundings, dramatically increasing the chance of an accident.
- Increase your visibility. It is a good idea to wear bright colors or add reflective tape to your bike or helmet. This will make you more visible to other motorists.
If you or someone you know has been injured or killed in a bicycle accident in Atlanta or the surrounding areas, we invite you to get in touch with an Atlanta personal injury attorney at our firm for a free evaluation of your case. With extensive experience and an unwavering commitment to justice, our firm is trusted in Atlanta for our ability to achieve maximum results for our clients. In fact, we have recovered millions of dollars on behalf of the injured. For more information on your legal rights after an accident, request a case evaluation online or call our office at 404-566-9460 .