The spinal cord is made up of nerves that carry messages from the brain to the rest of the body. An injury to the spinal cord or to the vertebrae, which are essentially rings of bone that surround the spinal cord, can be debilitating, resulting in a loss of mobility, feeling, and function. Depending on the severity of the damage, an individual can become permanently and totally paralyzed. If you sustained damage to your spinal cord as a result of someone else’s negligence, you have a right to pursue compensation for this catastrophic injury.
How does this devastating injury occur? Oftentimes, the cause involves negligence and preventable accidents. Below are the 5 most common causes that result in spinal cord injuries:
- Motor vehicle accidents: Accidents on the road are incredibly common and, if they are severe enough, they can result in damage to the spinal cord. In fact, these accidents account for at least 35% of all spinal cord injuries, including incidents that involve bicycles or pedestrians. Given that motor vehicle accidents are largely the result of human error, if you sustained a spinal cord injury as a result of a negligent driver’s actions, you can pursue a catastrophic injury claim and hold them liable for your injury.
- Slips, trips, and falls: Many are often surprised to learn that falls are some of the most common accidents that lead to injuries and, while some falls might only result in a few scrapes and bruises, others can be quite serious and result in a spinal cord injury. In fact, slips, trips, and falls account for over 25% of spinal cord injuries.
- Physical assaults: Incidents of violence also commonly result in trauma to the spinal cord. For example, knife wounds and gunshot wounds can compress or sever the spinal cord, leading to irreparable damage that can alter a person’s life forever. Physical assaults account for about 15% of all spinal cord injuries.
- Recreational accidents: Several different athletic activities can result in damage to the spinal cord if an accident occurs. For example, diving into shallow water or getting aggressively tackled during a football game are both examples of ways in which a spinal cord injury could occur due to sports-related activities. These types of incidents account for about 9% of all spinal cord injuries.
- Health complications: Some causes of spinal cord injuries cannot be avoided, though they only account for a very small fraction of these injuries. Diseases such as spinal bifida, polio, arthritis, cancer, and osteoporosis can all result in damage to the spine.
Catastrophic Injury Lawyers in Atlanta
If you another party’s negligent or reckless actions led to an accident that caused your spinal cord injury, you need to obtain skilled legal representation as soon as possible to ensure you are able to receive the compensation you need and deserve during this difficult time. At Pratt Clay, LLC, our catastrophic injury attorneys are dedicated to protecting the rights of injured victims and holding the responsible parties accountable for their actions.